For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the “Act”), the data controller is Digital Built Environment Institute of 255-259 Pacific Highway, North Sydney NSW 2060, Australia.
1. What information does DBEI hold about you and how is it collected?
If you, for example:
• search for a service;
• place an order for a brochure or other materials;
• enter a survey;
• post content;
• communicate with any third party; or
• report a problem with any of the Websites,
on or via any of the Websites, some or all of your personal information (including your name, job title, job function, company’s name, telephone, fax and mobile numbers, postal and email address, the industry you work in and your area of interest) may be collected by DBEI. We also collect personal information from you when you contact us (by email or otherwise).
We use the following cookies:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our Websites. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our website, use a shopping cart or make use of e-billing services.
- Analytical/performance cookies. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around the Websites when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way the Websites work, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to the Websites. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visit to the Websites, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make the Websites and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose.
You can find more information about the individual cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them in the table below:
[gdoc key=”https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eifuuX9rLEr8NuwRHFfdCE6Zq80hMoxbpyNdfZoXvEk/htmlview#gid=190332015″ gid=190332015″ linkify=”no” header_rows=”1″ use_cache=”no” query=”select A,B,C,D”]
With regard to each of your visits to the Websites we may automatically collect the following information:
- your browser type and version;
- time zone setting;
- browser plug-in types; and versions, operating system and platform.
We may also collect information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL), clickstream to, through and from the Websites (including date and time), services you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page.
You may opt out of the Google Analytics Display Advertiser Features through Ads Settings in your Google Account. You may also opt out of Google Analytics using this browser ad-on
2. What does DBEI do with your personal information?
All of the personal information described above will be stored on DBEI’s user database (unless you notify us that you no longer wish us to retain such information, in which case it will be deleted). DBEI will only use your personal information in order to contact you (for example by email, mail or telephone) for those purposes to which you have previously consented on the site. For example, if you register on the site, DBEI will email to you DBEI’s newsletter and, if you wish, contact you about relevant products and services offered by DBEI or by reputable third parties. DBEI will also contact you to market its products and/or services where it has obtained your details in the course of a sale of any of its products or services. If you do not wish to receive information about DBEI’s and/or third parties’ products and services, please tick the relevant box on the registration form when you register or, subsequently, via the “edit my profile” button at the bottom of the home page. You may cancel your subscription to DBEI’s newsletter at any time by clicking on the link at the foot of any edition of the newsletter or marketing communication.
Should you request us to amend or suppress records containing your information we will endeavour to do so as promptly as practical, however you may receive communications for a transitional period while we process the records.
DBEI will also use the information which you provide in aggregate form (i.e. so that no individual users are identifiable) to determine demographic profiles and browsing patterns in order to:
- develop marketing profiles and assist strategic development;
- manage DBEI’s relationship with its sponsors and advertisers;
- enable site audits to be performed; and
- enable DBEI to review, develop and improve the services which it offers.
In addition, DBEI will use your information to notify you about changes to our services.
DBEI will also use the personal information collected from your use of the Websites to administer the Websites and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes, to improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer, to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so, as part of our efforts to keep the Websites safe and secure, to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you, and to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our site about goods or services that may interest you or them.
3. Keeping your personal information up to date
We take all reasonable action to ensure that the information we collect and use is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
However, the accuracy of the information depends to a large extent on the information you provide. That’s why we recommend that you
- Update your profile and preferences through our online portal;
- Keep us up-to-date with changes to your information such as your name and address; and
- Let us know if there are any errors in the information
4. To whom is your personal information disclosed?
Each DBEI entity will share your personal information with the other members of its group which means its subsidiaries and ultimate holding company (provided that you have not ticked the opt-out box on the registration form).
In supplying DBEI with your personal information, you agree that DBEI may transfer that information (to the extent that it is still held on our database at the relevant time) to a third party who acquires all or substantially all of any DBEI entity’s assets or stock or our Website services whether by merger, acquisition, reorganisation or otherwise.
DBEI will also share your personal information with selected third parties including business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract it enters into with them or you, and/or, to the extent you have consented, advertisers and advertising networks that require your data to select and serve relevant adverts to you and others.
5. Transfers of personal information overseas
As the internet is a global environment, the personal information that we collect from you will likely be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”). It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our suppliers. This includes staff engaged in, among other things, the fulfilments of any of your orders, the processing of your payment details and the provision of support services. By submitting your personal information, you acknowledge this transfer, storing or processing. We will take the appropriate technical and organisational measures to ensure that your data are treated securely.
7. How do we protect your information?
DBEI is committed to data security and will take the appropriate technical and organisational measures to ensure that your personal information is treated securely. If you purchase tickets our events (and, accordingly, enter payment details), DBEI offers the use of a secure server. The secure server software encrypts all information which you input before it is sent to DBEI.
DBEI takes steps to guard against unauthorised access to the personal information of the users of the Websites. Although it makes every effort to create a secure environment for your personal information, DBEI cannot guarantee the safety of any personal information which is transmitted to us on-line and/or via email as, unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although DBEI will take appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect your personal information, any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use appropriate technical and organisational measures to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Where DBEI has given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of the Websites, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
8. How can you access personal information held by DBEI about you?
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. To receive a full report of all personal information we have stored on you, please email us at [email protected]
9. Contacting us
If you have any questions or concerns about DBEI’s use of your personal information, please email the Privacy Officer at [email protected] or write to us at:
Digital Built Environment Institute
255-259 Pacific Highway
North Sydney, NSW 2060